Here is a good resource for those times when you need to look up a medical term. The Multilingual glossary of technical and popular medical terms in nine European Languages contains the electronic form of eight glossaries, in which you can find 1800+ technical and popular medical terms in English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, and Danish.
There are four kinds of documents on this system:
- Lists of technical and popular medical terms: these lists contain an index of all the medical terms, with cross-references between technical and popular terms (one list for each language).
- Glossaries of technical and popular medical terms: these glossaries contain notes and comments from translators and users for each of the 1830 terms in the selected language. This is where your comments will eventually find their place.
- Multilingual lemma collection: this list contains 1830 pages, one for each of the concepts in this system. On each page all the technical and popular terms from the all languages are brought together.
- Dictionary: this list contains a short description (in English) of each term.
The system takes a no-frills approach but has proven to be valuable at times. It's another good resource for medical translation providers!
And if you need even more glossaries, check out these resources that we covered in the past:
- Medical Spanish podcast
- List of pharmaceutical glossaries
- English-Chinese medical dictionary
- Medical abbreviations from ITI MedNet
ForeignExchange supports clients' medical translation needs with comprehensive terminology management services and technology. Contact us to find out more!